So, Shannon posted on her blog seven things about herself in reply to a nomination she received. Then she asked me to do the same. I guess I put it off because I didn't figure that anyone would really want to know about me. However, she asked and is something that I can do for her. So read if you like, or skip it if you are so inclined. Up to you.
1. I have never lived anywhere other than the state of Virginia. The state of confusion doesn't count (although I have dual residency). I grew up in Spotsylvania outside of Fredericksburg. I went to school at Longwood College in Farmville, which coincidentally is where I met Shannon. Right after school I moved to Front Royal for my first year of working in the schools. I have lived in Chesapeake ever since.
2. Peter Pan is my hero. I am a kid at heart. I love to play video games. I really enjoy playing airsoft with my nephews and brother in law. It is a great release for me. I believe in magic. No really, it's out there. We just don't look closely enough :)
3. I have always wanted to be a writer. I have written several children's books which are housed safely in my journal. I have an ongoing book of poetry, which at last check had about 60-70 poems in it. I have started numerous novels before getting caught up on everyday life and not working on them again. One day i will sit down and write one of the many stories in my head. Even if it's just for me.
4. I am a speech pathologist working as a specialist with a school devision which caters almost predominantly to children with autism. Years ago i would have told you that this was the last place I would want to work. It just wasn't an interest for me. I was fortunate to be forced, through lack of options, to take a job here. I have never looked back. I love the kids that I get to work with. I feel like i am making a difference. Now i spend more time shaping the clinicians i have on my team, but i like sharing that knowledge as well.
5. I have two very strange obsessions. I collect man bags and pens. I call these obsessions because they really don't make sense. Unique and beautiful pens have always been a weakness. I especially love hand turned, wooden pens. It's hard to explain. The bag issue is just as strange. I use multiple bags on a daily basis out of necessity. I have to be able to carry my laptop, paperwork, and all therapy materials to all of the schools i go to. So whenever i see a bag in the store, i am always thinking of ways i can use it, and why it is better than the bags i already own. It's a sickness. I know.
6. I have a not so secret desire to go back to school to get my Ph.D. I have known for years that it was something that I wanted to do. In grad school i led a study group for several of our classmates. They were always saying that I was able to explain concepts in a way that made sense. More often than not, information wasn't understood until I re-explained it. That was a big compliment for me, and I thought from that point on that I would loke to teach at the college level.
7. I have wanted to be many things in my lifetime. The list is long but includes a firefighter, FBI agent, lawyer, doctor, actor, writer, teacher, college professor, Military officer, lifeguard, and pilot to name a few. The one thing that i have known I wanted to be for many years that actually stuck was a Father. My boys are incredible. It helps that they have an incredible Mother. To look at them and imaging all of the accomplishments that they will have in their lifetime is wonderful. I love racing cars and serving as a mountain to climb on. I love teaching them about sports, and animals, and art. It is a scary thought that Shannon and I are shaping them into the men that they will become, but i know that I will be so proud of them. No matter what.
So there are some facts about me. Take from it what you will. I like being me :)