Tuesday, May 15, 2012

D-blog week 2012: Post 2

I came across a post that said that this was Diabetes blog week. A different topic every day. I posted yesterday, but I am going to try their topics for the rest of the week. Today is: What I rock? I rock the role (hehe) of being an ambassador for type 1 diabetes. Wherever I am found, it is very likely that I am having a conversation somehow related to diabetes. Case in point. I went to a work conference last week when someone noticed me testing right before lunch. I answered a few questions and the next thing I know, I had rattled on for 30 minutes on counting carbs and the benefits of pumping. Now, I was at a meeting for therapy managers who work with a geriatric population, so they were somewhat interested in diabetes. I have had conversations in restaurants, grocery stores and the gym. What is funny is that when I was first diagnosed at 26 years old, I never wanted to talk about it. I didn't want anyone to know that I was diabetic. In fact, I didn't act like I had diabetes at all. I became a champion of diabetes education a little over two years ago. That was when my then 11 month old son was diagnosed. We almost lost him, and that was more than enough of a wake up call to change my view on diabetes. Now I am pumping and doing everything I can to put diabetes in its place. I have type 1 and I rock diabetes on a daily basis!

4 comments:

  1. Rock the role.... Hee! Good one!

    Thanks for being suck a rockin' ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... Obviously that should say such, not suck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Joanne!!

    We almost lost our son when he was diagnosed at 8 months old. It changes you. I want to shout it from the rooftops...We are here! We are here! We are here!

    So glad you are an advocate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered why I never knew you had this in high school, but I guess you didn't know either. My husbands brother and 2 nieces are type 1, so we keep that in mind as our boys grow.
    Way to be a great advocate!

    ReplyDelete